Casey Lawrence makes a pitch for the Buffalo Bisons on April 7, 2023. Photo courtesy of Buffalo Bisons.

After waiting four days – three of them due to rain – to get their home schedule underway, the Buffalo Bisons and Worcester Red Sox finally kicked things off at Sahlen Field in downtown Buffalo on Friday afternoon.

Unfortunately for the Herd, however, the saying “good things come to those who wait” didn’t apply to them as they were downed 3-1 in seven innings.

The Herd got on the board first with a run scored off a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the first inning, and they led 1-0 until Bobby Dalbec tied the game up with an RBI in the top of the fourth. Shortly thereafter, the Bisons had a chance to blow the game wide open but couldn’t take advantage.

After Oddanier Mosqueda replaced Bryan Mata on the mound for Worcester in the bottom of the fifth and a double steal by the Bisons with two outs, Tanner Morris earned a walk to load the bases. However, Rob Brantly popped out to leave three baserunners stranded for the Herd.

Casey Lawrence, Buffalo’s starting pitcher, was lifted after five innings and allowing just one hit and a run while walking no batters and striking out seven. His immediate replacement, Jay Jackson, struck out the side and kept the score tied at one.

Chase Shugart then came in for Worcester and allowed a base hit and a stolen base to Cameron Eden, but got the next three batters out. The Bisons countered with Nate Pearson, who promptly gave up a bunt for a hit to David Hamilton.

After a stolen base, a wild pitch allowed Hamilton to cross home plate and give Worcester a 2-1 lead in the top of the seventh. Hamilton’s lack of command cost him again soon afterwards as another wild pitch yielded a run and increased the lead to 3-1.

With Pearson now replaced by Matt Peacock (who was able to get his team out of the inning unscathed), things were finally settled down on the mound but it now came down to the Herd’s batters to answer back. A.J. Politi, Worcester’s closer, allowed two baserunners and Wynton Bernard stepped up to the plate hoping to represent Buffalo’s winning run. However, a 3-6-3 game-ending double play sealed the Bisons’ fate.

Buffalo will wrap up their homestand against Worcester on April 9 before a trip to Rochester to take on the Red Wings for six games.

Tony Fiorello

Tony’s work has appeared in multiple publications, including The Buffalo News, Bee Group Newspapers, From the 300 Level, WNYAthletics, Sports and Leisure Magazine, Community Papers of WNY, the Tonawanda News, the Niagara Gazette, WNY Hockey Report and Buffalo Hockey Central. He graduated from Buffalo State College in 2012 with a bachelor’s degree in print journalism. Follow him on Twitter @anthonyfiorello.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *