Biggest Pet Peeves of Buffalo Sabres’ National Anthem Singer Doug Allen
by Jeff Wozer, Buffalo Sports Page Humorist
Sabres anthem singer Doug Allen is a Buffalo icon. But sports humorist Jeff Wozer has some ideas about what may be bothering the pointing performer.
- He has only the organist for pre-anthem soccer warm-ups.
- The Pegula’s remain cool to the idea of him dressing in drag as Kate Smith and singing God Bless America
- Lauren Hall keeps rejecting his offers to join him on the ice for an “O Canada” duet.
- Rental tuxedo shoes look lame.
- Feels being pigeon holed as “that national anthem singer” is why he has yet to receive any Las Vegas offers.
- During rehearsals the organist always arrives drunk and with Yoko Ono.
- Given the Pegula’s Nashville connections it angers him to no end that they won’t give his phone number to Faith Hill.
- When dining at Dave & Buster’s people constantly interrupt his meals asking if he wouldn’t mind singing the Star Spangled Banner before dropping quarters into restaurant’s Bubble Hockey machine.
- Walking on to the ice without his national anthem set list.
- Not as fun anymore when he used to sing while crazed on smelling salts.
- During the taping of Inside the Blue & Gold segments he’s always asked to work as Brian Duff’s stunt-double.
- He must share his national anthem singer locker room with the Zamboni driver.
For more of Jeff Wozer’s funny observations about Buffalo sports, visit his author’s section at Buffalo Sports Page.