by Paul Peck, Buffalo Sports Page
The UB Bulls will play in the school’s third bowl game on Saturday, December 22 when they take on the Troy Trojans at the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, AL.
Buffalo Sports Page will get fans ready with what you need to know about the game, the city, the stadium and the matchup between the Bulls and the Trojans.
- The Bulls offense has already set team records for points, touchdowns & rushing touchdowns. They need 88 yards to set a record for yards gained in a season.
- The Bulls have scored 452 points this season, an average of 34.8 yards per game. They scored more than 30 points in nine of their 13 games.
- The Bulls were a big play offense all season long. They had 15 touchdowns of 30 yards or more.
- UB’s offensive line allowed only 12 sacks all season.
- Starting center James O’Hagan will start his 50th career game, and 50th consecutive game. He’s just the second Bulls player to reach 50 games.
- QB Tyree Jackson is 143 yards from 3000 for the season. Only Drew Willy has done that in UB history. Jackson is also 275 yards from 7000 in his career.
- Jackson, the MAC’s offensive player of the year, has thrown 27 touchdowns this season. Joe Licata holds the school record with 29.
- Wide receiver Anthony Johnson is 56 yards from 1000 for the second straight season. He would be just the third UB Bull to have two thousand-yard seasons.
- Johnson has 11 touchdown catches this season, and 25 in his career. That career number is third alltime.
- Running back Jaret Patterson needs 54 yards for 1000 on the season. He’d be the 7th Bulls runner to reach that mark, and the 10th time it will have happened.
- Fellow freshman RB Kevin Marks has totaled 805 for the season. That’s an impressive combined total of 1,751 for the team’s top two backs.
- A freshman has scored a touchdown in every game this season. UB is the only NCAA team to make that claim.
- Coming off a seven catch, 124 yard, two touchdown performance in the MAC Championship game, Johnson is the key to this matchup against Troy. The Trojans defense has good cornerbacks, and whoever wins that matchup may win the game.
- Johnson will return to Mobile and play in the Senior Bowl in late January. He’s the first Bull since 1964 to be invited to the game.