by Paul Peck, Buffalo Sports Page
The UB Bulls will play in the school’s third bowl game on Saturday, December 22 when they take on the Troy Trojans at the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, AL.
Buffalo Sports Page will get fans ready with what you need to know about the game, the city, the stadium and the matchup between the Bulls and the Trojans.
- The Trojans average just under 30 points per game. That ranked 5th in the Sun Belt Conference.
- They scored over 30 points six times. But in their final two games, they combined for only 22 points.
- The Trojans are good at the start of the game. They outscored opponents 112-52 in the first quarter, and 237-142 in the first half.
- The offense is good at creating big plays. They had 21 plays of 40 yards or more.
- The Trojans also had three drives of 90 yards this season;
- The story of the Trojans offense is the fact that their dynamic quarterback Kaleb Barker injured his knee in the 6th game and was lost for the season.
- Sawyer Smith is the new starter. He is not as much of a runner as Barker, and that has forced a change in the Trojans offense.
- Smith threw 10 touchdown passes and 6 interceptions in six starts.
- Running back B.J. Smith is the workhorse of the offense. He led the Sun Belt Conference with 1093 yards rushing. Smith scored 12 touchdowns.
- He had one stretch this season where he went over 100 yards rushing in five straight games.
- The top receiver is senior Damion Willis. He was second in catches, first in yards and first in touchdowns. Willis is six-foot-four.
- Willis had seven catches this season of 40 yards or more.
- Deondre Douglas led the team with 44 catches. He averaged only 9.9 yards per catch.
- The Trojans have a solid offensive line with four of the five starters getting the start in all 12 games.