by Paul Peck, Buffalo Sports Page
The UB Bulls will play in the school’s third bowl game on Saturday, December 22 when they take on the Troy Trojans at the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, AL.
Buffalo Sports Page will get fans ready with what you need to know about the game, the city, the stadium and the matchup between the Bulls and the Trojans.
- The Buffalo defense has been good all season long, ranking 2nd overall in the MAC in yards allowed. They will have to forget about what happened in the MAC Championship game, allowing three second half touchdown throws.
- Troy’s speed on offense will be a challenge. The Trojans may be the fastest team they face all season long.
- The Bulls forced 23 turnovers. Their 14 interceptions were third in the MAC.
- UB’s 34 sacks were also third in the confernce. They had a sack in every game.
- Linebacker Khalil Hodge, in his final game at UB, is the leader of the Bulls unit. His 415 tackles are third alltime in Bulls history. That’s 7th in the NCAA.
- With seven tackles, Hodge will own the second and third most tackles in a single season at UB. Craig Guest has the record with 161. Last year, Hodge had 154. This year, he has 139.
- Freshman outside linebacker James Patterson will complete an outstanding freshman year as the Bulls second-leading tackler.
- Chuck Harris leads the team with 6.5 sacks. Taylor Riggins is second with five sacks. Myles Nicholas had four.
- The Bulls have used a collection of cornerbacks this season. Cam Lewis and Tatum Slack are the starters. Aapri Washington and Roy Baker have also played a lot. The will be tested by an athletic group of Troy receivers.
- Troy has a 1000 yard rusher in B.J. Smith. He is a hard runner inside the tackles. QB Sawyer Smith throws a good deep ball.
- Bulls Head Coach called Troy’s offense “exotic” because of the multiple and varied motions they use. If the Bulls defenders can avoid getting fooled by that motion, that could be the key to the game.