by Paul Peck, Buffalo Sports Page
The UB Bulls will play in the school’s third bowl game on Saturday, December 22 when they take on the Troy Trojans at the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, AL.
Buffalo Sports Page will get fans ready with what you need to know about the game, the city, the stadium and the matchup between the Bulls and the Trojans.
- Defense is the strength of the Trojans. They held 10 of their 12 opponents under 25 points.
- The Trojans were second in the Sun Belt Conference in total defense. Their yardage allowed average of 345 yards per game would have led the Mid-American Conference.
- Troy’s run defense did lead the Sun Belt at 131 yards per game, and only 3.3 yards per rush.
- They were best at taking the ball away. Troy’s defense forced 27 turnovers. That number led the conference and ranked 5th in the country.
- 17 interceptions were the most in their conference. Safety Cedarius Rookard led the team with four picks.
- 10 different Trojan players had interceptions.
- The Trojans had 36 sacks on the season. That led the Sun Belt Conference, and ranked 12th in the NCAA.
- Defensive end Hunter Reese led the team with 7.5 sacks. That was 2nd in the Sun Belt. Reese has had a tackle for loss in 20 straight games.
- Against Coastal Carolina, Troy’s defense had nine sacks.
- Middle linebacker Carlton Martial had 70 tackles and was a Freshman All-American.
- Starting cornerback Blace Brown is Hershel Walker’s nephew.
- Cornerback Marcus Jones had 11 pass breakups, second in the Sun Belt.