by Paul Peck, Buffalo Sports Page
The UB Bulls will play in the school’s third bowl game on Saturday, December 22 when they take on the Troy Trojans at the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, AL.
Buffalo Sports Page will get fans ready with what you need to know about the game, the city, the stadium and the matchup between the Bulls and the Trojans.
In an evenly matched game between these two teams, special teams could play a big role in the outcome. Both the Bulls and Trojans have done some good things this year on special teams.
- Bulls Head Coach Lance Leipold has a decision to make about his kickers. Freshman walk-on Alex McNulty replaced senior kicker Adam Mitcheson on extra points in the MAC Championship game. McNulty made his first, but his miss on the second score was a critical play in the game. After failing on the next two point conversion, Mitcheson kicked the final extra point. No word which kicker will get the chance in the bowl game
- The Bulls have missed eight extra points this season
- Mitcheson hit 8/12 field goals this season. He is the Bulls alltime leader in points and field goals.
- Troy kicker Tyler Sumpter was 2nd Team All-Sun Belt Conference. He hit 18/24 field goals this year. He had two four field goal games. Sumpter led the conference in points and field goals.
- Sumpter was 8/11 from beyond 40 yards, including a 50 yarder.
- Sumpter is also the Trojans punter, averaging 44.8 yards per kick. That was 12th in the country.
- He hit three punts of more than 70 yards, including a 79-yard kick vs. Nebraska.
- Bulls punter Evan Finegan averages 41.8 yards per punt, good for 4th in the MAC
- Finegan’s average right now is a UB single season record. It is slightly ahead of Ben Woods’ mark of 41.6 in 2007.
- K.J. Osborn led the Bulls in punt returns at 10.3 per return. His 257 punt return yards led the MAC.
- Troy has three outstanding returners. On kickoffs, Marcus Jones has four career scores. He averages 25.6 per return. Jabir Daughtry-Frye had 13 kickoff returns for a 25.3 average.
- Punt returner Cedarius Rookard averaged 11.9 per return, and took one back 58 yards for a score against Nebraska.
- Mitcheson has 48 touchbacks this season.