by Paul Peck, Buffalo Sports Page
The UB Bulls will play in the school’s third bowl game on Saturday, December 22 when they take on the Troy Trojans at the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, AL.
Buffalo Sports Page will get fans ready with what you need to know about the game, the city, the stadium and the matchup between the Bulls and the Trojans.
- Troy University is located in Troy, Alabama. That’s in the central part of the state. Troy is an hour from Montgomery, AL…three hours from Birmingham, AL….and 2:30 minutes from Mobile, AL, the site of the Dollar General Bowl.
- It is a public university with an enrollment of around 20,000
- The school was founded in 1887
- The sports teams used to be know as the Red Wave (a variation of Crimson Tide) until 1973, when a student vote changed it to Trojans.
- Former Buffalo Bills Head Coach Chan Gailey is in the Troy Athletics Hall of Fame. He coached the Trojans in 1983-84, winning a Division II National Championship in his second year.
- The Trojans also won the Division II title in 1987
- The program moved up to Division I-AA in 1990, and to the FBS level in 2001
- Former Bills 2008 first round draft pick Leodis McKelvin played at Troy
- The Bills drafted former Troy QB Levi Brown in 2009
- Super Bowl champions DeMarcus Ware (Denver) and Osi Umenyiora (Giants) played for the Trojans
- Larry Blakeney coached Troy for 24 years, retiring in 2014 with 178 wins. Current coach Neal Brown replaced him
- The Trojans have played in seven bowl games