by Paul Peck, Buffalo Sports Page
The UB Bulls will play in the school’s third bowl game on Saturday, December 22 when they take on the Troy Trojans at the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, AL.
Buffalo Sports Page will get fans ready with what you need to know about the game, the city, the stadium and the matchup between the Bulls and the Trojans.
City of Mobile, AL
- Mobile is the southernmost city in Alabama. It sits on Mobile Bay, which empties into the Gulf of Mexico
- Mobile is two hours east of New Orleans along I-10. Pensacola, FL is one hour east of Mobile.
- Mobile is the third most populous city in Alabama.
- The Bulls opponent, Troy, is located two hours and 30 minutes northeast of Mobile. They are used to playing in Mobile. Conference rival South Alabama host the Trojans every other year. Troy has played in the Dollar General Bowl three times.
- This will the first time UB is playing in the state of Alabama since a game at Auburn in 2007.
- The City of Mobile dates back 300 years, and was once called the “Paris of the South” for its culture
- While there might be an argument with New Orleans, Mobile claims to be the birthplace of Mardi Gras. The city says the annual celebration and parade was started by a Mobile resident in 1703.
- The top attraction in town is the battleship USS Alabama. It is moored right in Mobile Bay. It played a crucial role in winning World War II.
- Based on its location on the Bay, seafood is a primary staple of Mobile restaurants. Proximity to New Orleans brings a cajun and creole flavor. Because it’s the Deep South, barbecue is also a key part of the city’s cuisine.
- For the week leading up to the game, the temperatures are in the low 60’s. The gameday forecast according to Accuweather is a high of 66 degrees, a low of 44 degrees with a chance of rain.
- The Mobile BayBears minor league baseball team play in Hank Aaron Stadium.
- Aaron is one of five baseball Hall of Famers from Mobile: Satchel Paige, Willie McCovey, Billy Williams, Ozzie Smith.
- Apple CEO Tim Cook was born in Mobile. So was singer Jimmy Buffett, comedian W. Kamau Bell, NBA star DeMarcus Cousins, NFL #1 pick JaMarcus Russell, former Bills QB A.J. McCarron and former U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
- Steven Spielberg Sci-Fi classic Close Encounters of the Third Kind was filmed in Mobile.