by Paul Peck, Buffalo Sports Page
The UB Bulls will play in the school’s third bowl game on Saturday, December 22 when they take on the Troy Trojans at the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, AL.
Buffalo Sports Page will get fans ready with what you need to know about the game, the city, the stadium and the matchup between the Bulls and the Trojans.
- This has been the home stadium for the Dollar General Bowl since its inception in 1999.
- The stadium is located in Mobile, AL. It was built in 1948, and renovated in 1997.
- It is the home of the Senior Bowl, played in late January every year. The game features the top senior NFL draft prospects, coached by NFL staffs. The game is considered a critical audition for NFL prospects.
- UB wide receiver Anthony Johnson will return to the stadium to play in the Senior Bowl on January 26, 2019.
- It is also the home stadium for the South Alabama Jaguars.
- The stadium is named after two prominent Mobile businessmen who were responsible for getting it built, and bringing the Senior Bowl to Mobile.
- The University of Alabama used to play home games there. The Crimson Tide played 18 games there from 1948 to 1968.
- Legendary coach Paul “Bear” Bryant’s first game as Alabama head coach was held in Ladd-Peebles Stadium in 1958.
- In 1955, as part of a country music show, an unknown Elvis Presley played at the Stadium.
- In 2016, then presidential candidate Donald Trump held a rally in the Stadium.