by Paul Peck, Buffalo Sports Page
The UB Bulls will play in the school’s third bowl game on Saturday, December 22 when they take on the Troy Trojans at the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, AL.
Buffalo Sports Page will get fans ready with what you need to know about the game, the city, the stadium and the matchup between the Bulls and the Trojans.
Dollar General Bowl History
- This is the 19th year of the bowl, played in Mobile, Al at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.
- It’s the fifth different name for the game. It started as the Mobile Alabama Bowl, then the GMAC Bowl, the GoDaddy.com Bowl, the Go Daddy Bowl, and now, the Dollar General Bowl.
- A Mid-American Conference team has played in the game every year since 2000.
- Toledo and Bowling Green have played in Mobile three times. Arkansas State has represented the Sun Belt Conference four times. This will be Troy’s 4th appearance.
- MAC teams are 9-8. Sun Belt teams are 5-4.
- In 2001, Marshall (then of the MAC) & East Carolina played in the highest scoring bowl game in history. Marshall won 64-61 in 2 OT’s. Thundering Herd QB Byron Leftwich threw for 576 yards.
- Among the MVP’s of game are LaDainian Tomlinson, Leftwich, Ben Roethlisberger & Kareem Hunt.
Tomorrow: The home of the Dollar General Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium.