by Jeff Wozer, Buffalo Sports Page Humorist
The Bills season may be over, but that hasn’t stopped sports humorist Jeff Wozer from digging deep into the lives of the players. He’s focused on Bills long snapper Reid Ferguson, to find out what bothers the key member of the team’s special teams.
• Limited public interest for a Punt, Pass & Long Snap Competition.
• Instead of a football position long snapper sounds like a seafood restaurant menu item.
• Signing bonus was a $3 off coupon to Supercuts.
• Gets tiresome hearing fans yell, “Hey Snapper, where’s Crackle and Pop?”
• TV executives who rejected his show idea – “Long Snapping With the Stars.”
• Long, sleepless nights from the realization he was put on this earth for the purpose of tossing an oval shaped ball backwards through his legs.
• The awkward silence that follows when he asks a girl he just met, “Wanna’ watch me snap a ball?”
• Agent negotiated a $200,000 performance bonus in contract for any snap longer than 70 yards.
• Though a member of the special teams he never quite feels all that special.
• Author Budd Bailey has no interest in writing his biography.